LAW Absolute are delighted to exclusively assist the London Borough of Islington in their search for an Assistant Director of Law- Commercial and Environment on a permanent basis.
The council are seeking an experienced legal candidate with managerial experience at a high level to help lead and develop the Commercial and Environment Team. This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking to further develop their legal career and take the step up into an Assistant Director role. You will play a key part in the direction of Islington legal services.
About the role:
- The successful candidate will lead and manage the Commercial & Environment Team. This is made up of 5 direct reports and approximately 30 staff.
- To ensure day-to- day the Commercial & Environment Team operates effectively and to the highest possible standards.
- To act as one of two Deputy Monitoring Officers.
- To deputise for the Director of Law & Governance as and when required.
- You will be responsible for advising the council on all matters related to commercial and environmental legal services including reviewing and initiating new policies and submitting recommendations for change to existing policies.
- To attend and advise at meetings of Council Committees and Sub-Committees.
- You will undertake training within the department and contribute proactively to the collective leadership for Legal Services.
- It is essential you can manage budgets effectively.
- In the first 6-12 months of starting the role you will be involved in some interesting and complex matters such as: Leading on the de-merger of a major council service involving extensive employment & Contractual issues. Advising members on governance and constitutional issues including DMO duties and possessing overarching responsibility for high profile Property & Planning developments.
About the council:
- The London Borough of Islington are ambitious, fair, and equal employers, determined to create a place where everyone can reach their potential.
- It is important to the council that everyone plays their role in creating a more equal borough. Equality is at the heart of what they do. They seek employees with the same values.
- Islington have an ambitious goal- to be the best council in the country. They seek likeminded individuals.
- Local Government and/or Central Government legal and managerial experience at a high level.
- Qualified Solicitor/Barrister/CILEX with a current practising certificate.
- You must be able to attend Islington offices a minimum of two days a week (subject to change), plus evening committee meetings as and when required.
Timeframes & application process:
- Deadline for full applications: 9am on Monday 10th October 2022.
- Shortlisting and interview deadlines will be provided in due course.
- In order to apply for the role, a CV and a separate statement in support addressing the points mentioned in the person specification will be required.
To discuss this opportunity further, please contact Zoe Alex- firstname.lastname@example.org/ 020 7092 8012.